Mimi O'Donnell Split With Philip Seymour Hoffman As His Addiction Worsened

Mimi O’Donnell Split With Philip Seymour Hoffman As His Addiction Worsened

Mimi O’Donnell and Philip Seymour Hoffman had split in recent months as the actor’s drug addiction worsened, with O’Donnell reportedly hoping tough love could help the actor kick his heroin addiction.

O’Donnell was reportedly the last person to see Hoffman alive before the actor died on Sunday, telling police that he appeared to be high when she saw him on Saturday evening. The report paints a picture of Hoffman struggling to control his addiction and spiraling into a destructive pattern of behavior.

Witnesses had spotted Philip Seymour Hoffman a few days before his death, drinking in an Atlanta bar and later appearing “drunk and disheveled” at the airport. He later passed out as soon as he took his seat on the airplane, fellow passengers said.

Hoffman had been estranged from Mimi O’Donnell and the three children the have together in recent months, a New York Post report noted. O’Donnell had reportedly tried to enact some tough love to help Hoffman snap out of his downward spiral of a heroin addiction.

“It was known that he was struggling to stay sober, and [girlfriend Mimi O’Donnell] had given him some tough love and told him he needed some time away from the kids and to get straight again,” a Hollywood source told the Post.

This led Philip Seymour Hoffman to rent a $9,800-a-month apartment in Greenwich Village, three blocks from the home he once shared with Mimi O’Donnell. He did try to get help, entering detox last year in an attempt to break the heroin addiction.

Hoffman was supposed to show up to the family’s apartment at 9 am to take the kids for a visit, sources said. When they didn’t show friends became worried, leading his assistant and another friend to check up on Philip at his apartment.

Mimi O’Donnell was reportedly with the kids at a nearby playground when she learned of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death. Sources say she took the news very hard, and afterward was inconsolable.